Thursday, January 8, 2009

"Close Encounter with the Evil One"

I run, He follows. I scream. My screams drown.
He scares me. He corners me. Your angels surround me, and I escape.
You shelter me, you comfort me, and you lock the door and hug me.
He hates me. You love me. He uses and abuses. You care for me.
When I feel weak, God you are my protector.
When I feel trapped; Lord you are my escape.
And when Satan has me cornered in the dark alley of life,
You ward him off and shine down your light.
Alone and at home I can weep to you my heavenly Pop.
I felt unsafe, but you were there to make it all stop.
My stomach hurts, but you comfort me still;
Reminding me of the power and care of your will.
The enemy is dark; he is angry, malicious and cruel.
He doesn’t care who he makes his fool.
The next victim is all he needs;
To continue his terrible two-faced deeds.
He’s slimy and evil, he’s meaner than spit.
He’s a sickening sight and he’s frightful you bet.
He loves us not, our failure: his success.
He corners you and makes you forget through the stress.
You cry, but forget that God is near.
He scares you and you begin to fear.
But Daddy’s here, you’re just a lost sheep.
He wants to help you through your trouble so deep.
You’re safe now! You’re home and alive.
He is no longer here. You’re going to be fine.
A nightmare or too, but learn from all this:
When trouble is near remember you’re HIS.
When God is with you your power is strong.
So you now may begin your triumph song.

(copyright Evelyn Worthington)
(written in the summer of 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment