Thursday, January 8, 2009

"Beautiful You"

I see you, beautiful you, just the way God intended.
And your heart is gorgeous too,
though more than once it’s been mended.
You never see what I can see, for I can see the truth.
You see flaws in a mirror and tell yourself “it’s no use”.
You mumble to yourself “if only if only”
and you criticize your crooked nose.
You hate your curly hair and the itty-bitty flaws in your baby toes.
You may have a birthmark covering your knee,
Or a burn that you got when you were three,
Your eyesight has gone bad and your ears can’t hear a thing.
You hate most mirrors and your back’s not what it used to be.
Your asthma keeps on flaring up, your gray hairs you can’t stand.
From the freckles on your nose to the wrinkles on your hand,
Your blue eyes are crossed and they tear up at the mirror.
You hate any access skin and the clothes you can’t fit in.
You may be too short, or maybe too tall
But why do you care? These things shouldn’t matter at all!
But I see you, beautiful you,
the mold was broken when you were made.
Even identical twins are not nearly the same!
So the bullies talk, and embarrass you so,
Hoping against hope: that their flaws don’t show.
Your heart is not mentioned in those fashion magazines.
But that’s what should matter most, if you know what I mean.
So you don’t have big muscles, so your lips are thin.
I say let’s be happy with the skin we’re in!
Then maybe that mirror could show,
A smile with a face a glow,
And your voice could be heard,
Sharing a kind word,
Pretty soon we’re just hearts with arms to reach out.
Our Creator is still with us if ever we’re in doubt.
So thank you Lord God Almighty, creator of this earth.
Thank you for making my life full of purpose and of worth.
Thank you for each little flaw that makes me only me,
Thank you for this heart of love,
For I am more than what they see!

(copyright Evelyn Worthington)
(written in 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment